USS Harry E. Hubbard DD-748


  • The model is already built, NOT a model ship kit
  • Hand crafted by artisans from scratch using high quality woods & metal fittings

Out of stock

SKU: BT0031P Categories: ,


  • The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
  • Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
  • Real brass & metal fittings
  • Propellers and rudders made from brass
  • Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
  • Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship

USS Harry E. Hubbard (DD-748), an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer, is the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for Commander Harry Hubbard (1903–1942), who was the captain of the Meredith when it was sunk during the Guadalcanal campaign.

Harry E. Hubbard was launched on 24 March 1944 by the Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, New York; sponsored by Miss Jean Hubbard, daughter; and commissioned on 22 July 1944, Commander Leonard W. Bailey in command.
World War II

Flagship of Destroyer Squadron 64, Harry E. Hubbard trained precommissioning crews destined for newly constructed warships until sailing for Hawaii on 16 January 1945. She served as a training ship out of Pearl Harbor until 17 April, then departed for combat She arrived off Okinawa on 8 May 1945 to serve as a picket destroyer, guarding against the day and night waves of Japanese aerial raids and suicide runs of kamikazes. Although the American fleet suffered losses and damage, it had come to stay. As with all previous Japanese weapons, even the kamikazes were defeated in their attempt to save this last “stepping stone” to Japan itself. For nearly two months, Hubbard fought off the savage raiders, shooting down four suicide planes that tried to crash her at various times.

When Evans and Hugh W. Hadley were badly damaged in their stand against some 50 kamikazes on 11 May 1945, Hubbard, first to arrive on the scene, went alongside Evans to render fire-fighting, damage control and medical aid. She gave similar assistance to Barry on 24–25 May, shooting down two kamikazesas she escorted Barry from picket station into Kerama Retto. One enemy plane was disintegrated by Hubbard’s gunners a bare 50 yards from the ship.

Hubbard remained off Okinawa until 24 July 1945, then escorted occupation troops to Jinsen, Korea, and carried the Commander of Destroyer Squadron 64 (DesRon 64) to Chinkai, Korea, to oversee the demilitarization of the former Japanese naval base there. She returned to Jin-sen 7 November 1945, then based out of Tsingtao, China. She performed escort, mail, and communication service for the North China Occupation force until departing 16 March 1946, for the California seaboard. She arrived at San Francisco on 28 March 1946, underwent demobilization overhaul at Oakland, then decommissioned at San Diego on 15 January 1947. She remained in the Pacific Reserve Fleet until recommissioned 14 May 1949 but decommissioned 12 December without having gone to sea.

Korean War

Following the invasion of South Korea, Harry E. Hubbard recommissioned on 27 October 1950, Commander Burres D. Wood in command. After initial shakedown along the coast of California, she departed San Diego on 2 January 1951 for two months of training in Hawaiian waters. She then steamed to assist the U.N. Forces in Korea. Besides helping guard the fast carrier task force making repeated airstrikes against the enemy, she frequently joined in gunstrike missions to bombard coastal rail and communication centers and performed as seagoing artillery to support the advance of land troops. Her bombardment missions were conducted against targets at Yongdae Gap, Wonsan, Songjin, Chingjin, Kyoto, Ohako, Bokuko, Chuminjin, and other enemy strongholds of supply and reinforcement. When Walke was heavily damaged by an underwater explosion off Wonson 11 June 1951, Hubbard, with the same skill as off Okinawa in 1945, moved in to render effective medical and damage control assistance. She returned to the California coast in October 1951 for overhaul and completed a similar tour of duty with the 7th Fleet off Korea July to December 1952. She returned to San Diego in January 1953 but again departed on 11 July to guard fast carrier task groups patrolling after the Armistice Agreement was signed in Korea. Intervened by patrol in the Taiwan Straits, this duty continued until 13 January 1954. She returned to San Diego for overhaul and refresher training along the western seaboard.

Harry E. Hubbard departed San Diego 11 August 1954 on the first of nine additional Far East tours with the 7th Fleet which were completed by the close of 1966. During this service, she joined the roving 7th Fleet 6 to 13 February 1955 in moving in under Chinese Communist artillery defenses to cover the evacuation of Chinese Nationalist from untenable positions on the Tachen Islands. In May 1955, she participated in “Operation WIGWAM”, an underwater nuclear test approximately 500 miles southwest of San Diego, California. In October to November 1956 she diverted from Australia to the “Dewline” in the Northern Pacific to serve on picket patrol during the Suez Crisis. She next joined in combined warfare exercises with SEATO Treaty nations to improve readiness in defending freedom in that part of the world. From time to time, she patrolled the Taiwan Straits to insure Taiwan was not threatened from the Communist mainland of China. She was off Guam in June 1960, twice guarding the flight of President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s aircraft during his Far East visit.

Vietnam War

During the Gulf of Tonkin Incident of August 1964, Harry E. Hubbard was nearby in the South China Sea screening Ticonderoga. The carrier task group struck to destroy North Vietnamese torpedo boats and their supporting facilities. In awarding the Navy Unit Commendation to Ticonderoga and her screen, Secretary of the Navy Paul Nitze stated that they had “demonstrated the firm intent of the United States to maintain freedom of the seas and to take all necessary measures in defense of peace in Southeast Asia.”

Hubbard returned to Long Beach on 28 October 1964 for a year of warfare readiness operations along the western seaboard. In October 1965, she departed for the coast of South Vietnam. In company with Valley Forge in November and December 1965, she provided gunfire support for two Marine amphibious landings. In the following months, she acted as escort to Kitty Hawk and Hancock during their strike operations in the South China Sea, acting as Harbor Defense ship at Danang and fired more than 1,000 rounds of exploding 5-inch shells into Viet Cong strongholds along the South Vietnamese coast. She returned to Long Beach, California, on 7 April 1966. The destroyer had drawn nationwide attention on 10 March 1966 when the ABC Television Network included scenes of one of her shore bombardments along the South Vietnamese coast.

Harry E. Hubbard shared in the Navy Unit Commendation awarded Task Group 77.5 for support operations in the Gulf of Tonkin 2–5 August 1964. She also received six battle stars for World War II and Korean service

Additional information

Dimensions 39 × 4 × 14 in


There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “USS Harry E. Hubbard DD-748”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shipping & Terms

  • Your item will normally be shipped within one or two business days after receiving payment. We will update tracking number of your shipment.
  • We use USPS, FedEx, and UPS for standard shipping. Please contact us if you prefer an express service. Standard or free shipping is just for customers in Lower 48 States.
  • Please contact us for shipping rate if you want to ship to Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii or other countries. We reserve the right to decline shipping to some countries for safety reason of the package.
  • International customer: Customer will be responsible for any taxes/duties at your country. Please contact your customs for import regulation
  • Guarantee to arrive safety. All shipments are FULLY INSURED with professional 100% secure packing
  • Damaged in transit: If you’ve found damage to the package please keep the original shipping carton/shipping label. Contact us immediately within 4 days so we can issue a damage claim with carrier. If the item damaged inside a wooden crate, please do not continue to open wooden crate, contact us immediately for instruction.
  • Please contact us first if you want to ship to APO/FPO/PO Box addresses. We are not responsible for extra shipping cost if the package denied for any reasons
  • Orders are shipped on business days only. Business days are Monday-Friday, excluding federal holidays within the United States. If you place an order after 2PM of Friday we will process on next Monday.