The SS Master was built in 1922 for Captain Herman Thorsen. Very few ships were being built in the province during this period, (only 6 over 40′), and was just about the last tug launched with a triple expansion steam engine installed.
The SS Master was one of a trio of wood hulled tugs that were turned out at the Beach Avenue Shipyard in False Creek. Although almost identical in design and size, the ship was however, 5′ shorter than the other two, the SEA SWELL and the R.F.M.
The SS Master is the sole Moscrop built tug that is still close to her original design and which still operates with her original steam engine, a Royal Navy World War 1 surplus engine built in 1916. While several of Moscrop’s hulls are still around, they have been heavily modified structurally and all have been re-engined. Moscrop went on to design and build a large number of outstanding wood hulled tugboats for coastal use. He also supervised the construction of the R.C.M.P.’s Arctic explorer, the ST. ROCH.
The original cost is believed to have been around $34,000 and Captain Thorsen retained full ownership until 1927 when the Master Towing Company was incorporated and took title of the ship along with a mortgage for $23,000 back to Thorsen (This mortgage was transferred to the Home Oil Company in 1933).
- Amazingly detailed replica of the SS Master
- Handcrafted by master artisans using plank-on-hull construction
- Real brass & stainless steel fittings, Hand-stitched Plush leather seats
- Highly-polished, multi-layered paint and varnish finish
- Metal propellers, steering wheel, horns and more
- Realistic gauges and switches on dash – no stickers