- The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
- Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
- Real brass & metal fittings
- Propellers and rudders made from brass
- Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
- Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship
The Maersk Alabama was hijacked by Somali pirates in 2009. The story of the incident was reported in the 2010 book A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea by Stephan Talty and Captain Richard Phillips, who had been master of the vessel at the time of the incident. The hijacking also inspired the 2013 film Captain Phillips.