- The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
- Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
- Real brass & metal fittings
- Propellers and rudders made from brass
- Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
- Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship
USS Trathen (DD-530) was a World War II-era Fletcher-class destroyer in the service of the United States Navy, named after Lieutenant Commander James Trathen, commander of USS Midnight (1861) during the American Civil War.
Trathen was laid down on 17 March 1942 at San Francisco, California, by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 22 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Cassin Young, wife of Captain Cassin Young who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his valor as commanding officer of Vestal (AR-4) during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor; and commissioned on 28 May 1943, Commander Alvoord J. Greenacre in command.