- The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
- Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
- Real brass & metal fittings
- Propellers and rudders made from brass
- Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
- Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship
USS Balao (SS/AGSS-285), a Balao-class submarine, was a ship of the United States Navy; Balao is the name of any of several halfbeaks.
Balao (SS-285) was launched 27 October 1942 by Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine, sponsored by Mrs. Theodore C. Aylward, wife of Lieutenant Commander Aylward, commissioned 4 February 1943, Lieutenant Commander Richard H. Crane in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.