- The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
- Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
- Real brass & stainless steel fittings
- Propellers and rudders made from brass
- Laser cut doors and window. You can see thru superstructure
- Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
- Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship.
The T.S.S Normandie was a French ocean liner built in Saint-Nazaire France for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique. When launched in 1932 she was the largest and fastest ship in the world, and she maintains the distinction of being the most powerful steam turbo-electric propelled passenger ship ever built. Her novel design features and lavish interiors have led many to to consider her the greatest of all ocean liners. Despite this, she was not a commercial success, and relied partly on government subsidy to operate.
In 1942, while being converted to a troopship during World War II, Normandie caught fire, capsized, and sank at the New York Passenger Ship Terminal. Although she was salvaged at great expense, restoration was deemed too costly, and she was scrapped in October 1946.