- The model is 100% hand built by artisans from scratch using “plank on frame” construction method
- Rosewood, mahogany, teak and other exotic woods are carefully selected to build the model
- Real brass & stainless steel fittings
- Propellers and rudders made from brass
- Laser cut doors and window. You can see thru superstructure
- Hollow hull and hollow superstructure
- Highly-detailed and multi-layered paint to match color of the real ship.
Named after the famous Italian inventor, the SS Leonardo da Vinci was built in 1960 for the italian line as a replacement for the SS Andrea Doria which was lost in 1956. In 1976 she became the last passenger liner to be used across the North Atlantic. She was scrapped in 1982.
Built: 1960 by Ansaldo, Sestri Ponente, Italy
Gross tons: 33340 Length: 761ft (232m) Speed: 23kn
Width: 92ft (28m) Depth: 30ft (9m) Power: 52000 shp
Propulsion: Steam turbines twin screw
Passengers: 413 First 342 Cabin 571 Tourist
End of service: Cruising only from 1977; laid up 1978